How Social Media networks have evolved over the years (INFOGRAPHIC)

I think you guys will have a blast going down memory lane with this one. Talk about Geocities founded in 1994. Do you remember that after Yahoo bought Geocities they tried to 'own' user generated content like pictures etc? Of course, users promptly left in droves. How times change. No social media owner wants to outrightly own user generated content! How about Usenet.


I remember Usenet as having a forum structure. I just found out I opened an account on Myspace January 2007 and yes, that was the original Myspace logo courtesy of Wikipedia. My exposure to and active use of social networks dates back to 2003 when I served as a Community host on Beliefnet till 2006/7. I bet Beliefnet did not really think of itself as a social network.


 Interesting and instructive how social media networks have evolved over the years. I will be working with Hotsauce - digital marketing firm in Nigeria on creating an infograph on social media in Nigeria - out before Valentine Day.

What does all this evolution mean for brands and what kind of evolution can we still expect in 2011 and beyond? That is what I will treat in my next post.

Meanwhile, head over to  Mashable to see the infograph that shows the history of social media networks

Have a great week!

Dayo

http://linkedin.com/in/dayoadefila
http://twitter.com/travelwithdayo

Comments

  1. This article is a great source of information, you Pictured the things really well. Keep it up and keep blogging.
    Search Marketing Agency

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts